Sunday, October 24, 2010

What's a Mammotome and other Misc Stuff

I image the hardest part of any disease is the 'not knowing' stage you have to endure while waiting for your blood tests, biopsy results, diagnosis, MRI's, outcomes of surgeries, etc. It certainly has been the case with me. My mammogram was performed on Sept. 23, 2010. I received a letter in the mail stating my results needed further examination. I was asked to do another mammogram on the side noted to look abnormal. A radiologist reviewed that mammogram immediately and recommended I have a biopsy right away. I had the biopsy done the following week. I should have waited before being cut into and researched about what they were going to do before going in, because now I'm in "we've got to move ahead and not wait around anymore" mode.

I had the biopsy done on October 14, 2010 and received a call from my doctor two days later that I was positive for Ductal Carcinoma In Situ. This is the earliest stage of breast cancer and has a 90% chance of being cured. Here's a bit of info of what a  Mammotome biopsy procedure is like.

The Mammotome is a machine with a gun-like extension that has a tool that a surgeon inserts into the breast tissue to gather samples from clustered areas of calcification's noted on the mammogram. The surgeon has exact locations utilizing the x-ray from the mammogram prior to taking the samples. You are seated in a chair the entire time. The breast is situated in the same contraption used to perform mammograms. This part was uncomfortable, because I had to remain very still and have my breast squished for over 30 minutes. A local anesthetic is given to numb the entire area. I mostly felt slight pressure during the sampling. After the surgeon finishes collecting samples, a tiny marker is then inserted into the areas sampled. Prior to my Lumpectomy, I will have a tiny wire inserted into the breast which will be attached to the marker inserted during the biopsy. Using the wire, attached to the marker(s) are then triangulated to  located  the precise area of the tumor with some surrounding tissue that will be removed during a Lumpectomy.  I joked with the surgeon and asked her if I would make airport scanning machines buzz. She said no. The material isn't that detectable.

The procedure only requires a small incision without stitches. The freakiest part is you are awake. It was recommended I take some anti-anxiety medicine if I tended to feel queasy or nervous about the procedure and to not eat anything the morning of. I was thankful that I only had some juice, because even though I didn't feel scared during the procedure, when it was over, I was very dizzy for about an hour and had to put my feet up. The nurse said this was a normal delayed response to trauma. Some patients even pass out during the procedure. Looking back, I wish they would have also suggested that I have someone drive me as well. The recovery hasn't been as bad as I expected. I have some fairly large bruises, but this is mostly just blood pooling in the lower half of the breast.

Next Tuesday, October 26, 2010 I'm scheduled for a breast MRI. This will detect in greater detail any more clusters of abnormal looking breast calcification's. A surgeon will need the MRI in order to remove of the tumor and surrounding tissue in a procedure called a Lumpectomy.  After this procedure, the next step is radiation. That is all I know at this point.  How much pain will I be in after a Lumpectomy? Will radiation kill the cancer and any precancerous cells lurking around in my breasts? Sometimes too much research can be a scary thing.

1 comment:

  1. Misty,

    Thank you for sharing your personal journey.

    You are an awesome, butt kicking woman! Look out! This thing doesn't stand a chance!

    Your friend always :)

    ReplyDelete