Sunday, October 31, 2010

Happy Halloween

Halloween is a strange holiday . I can never understand people celebrating death, blood, being scared and viewing images of gore. My daughter wanted to try out a spooky corn maze in our area. She went with two adults and a friend. When she returned home, she was full of excitement talking a mile a minute. "Oh mom, you should have seen the guy in the camo outfits. He was so tall and peering down at me making funny comments; The lady tied to a chair, covered in blood screaming 'don't come into our farm, momma don't like that!'  She explains that the actors in the maze listen carefully for people's names so they can address you, creep up and scare you. "But mom, they can't touch you." She likes that part.

I feel a little sad that I didn't go. She had a wonderful time, and I wasn't there to share it with her. It's in these precious moments with your child that you realize how short your time is with them. I don't like to be scared or see gore, but I would have enjoyed seeing her have so much fun. I've made a mental note to do this maze with her next year, even though it's not my thing. Spending time with your kids creating special bonds is the most important thing you can do for them.

Happy Halloween,
M

No comments:

Post a Comment