Monday, November 1, 2010

First Appointment with a Breast Surgeon

Today I met with a breast surgeon. I brought a friend with me to this appointment. That was the best part of the appointment, visiting with my friend before, during, and after. Thank you Elaine for coming along beside me. Having you there made me stronger, as well as all of my friends and family who I know are praying for me too. Thank you.

There was a lot of information discussed. The doctor was wonderful. She read my medical history and went through it line-by-line, even noting that I was taking way too much calcium, which (she explained) may be the reason I have been having heart palpitation issues. I also had a blood draw to test for the Breast Cancer gene. For now, it will be two weeks until the results and my next appointment with the surgeon. Upon leaving her office, I received a goodie bag filled with books, handouts, support group info, directories, you name it and a hug. I'd admit, having a surgeon give me a hug made me nervous. But that's why I chose a women surgeon. She can relate.

The most difficult part of the appointment has been the aftermath. This evening I'm quite emotional. I guess I have been trying to suppress what's really happening inside my body with humor and keeping myself busy. Tonight, those walls came down. I'm having to come to grips now that I may need a Mastectomy, since the MRI revealed more possible sites of the cancer on the same side. I feel fortunate that so far, nothing appears to be on the other side.

The waiting continues.

No comments:

Post a Comment