Wednesday, January 5, 2011

New Eating Mantra


Do these jeans make my butt look fat? Is my muffin top showing through this shirt? I'm mentally weary from asking myself these questions. After all, I have post- baby, saggy belly fat; I'm on the other side of middle age and just about finished with menopause (translation... bye-bye metabolism). No, I won't miss that random blushing of the cheeks look, especially when it's so red people ask me if I'm ill with a fever.

Every female I know suffers from body-image issues and is or has been on a diet in the last month. I'm trying out a few new things for the new year to assist me with my body image. First, when I dive into the frig or cupboards I ask myself, "Will this help me get into a bikini for Hawaii this summer?, and "Will it help me loose ten pounds by August?" Ten pounds probably doesn't sound like much to you, but at 5' 2" that amount of weight is two pants' sizes smaller.


One of my BFFs and I, have set a date in March for when we want to loose ten pounds. We give ourselves permission to purchase a complete outfit and treat each other to lunch when we reach our goal. We will be doing weekly weight loss updates to each other via email. It's always better with a friend.

I'm excited! I have a plan of action and a deadline. I'm even contemplating before and after bikini photos. Not that I'd share them on the internet. Ewe!

What's your eating Mantra? Are you trying to loose weight? Be honest.

2 comments:

  1. Yes, definitely trying to drop a few. I'd like to be in a bikini once before I hit 50. OK, may e just in my own yard, but still . . . I dropped quite a few punds a couple years back and just trying to get into that frame of mind. I never dieted, i just changed my lifestyle. I ate anything I wanted, just not everything, Stopped when i got full. Only ate when i was hungry . , , no duh stuff like that. :-) Your words are definitely encouragement, thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stopping when you're full, that's a hard one for me. I love food and the more variety the better. Topping off a meal with a donut, cookie, piece of dark chocolate made the meal satisfying.

    Not realizing that the sweet I was craving was due to my lack of whole grains (complex carbs-not simple carbs which mostly stick to your hips), I now eat veggies firsts, then protein and carbs last if possible.

    Since trying NutriSystem last October, I've had my eyes open to portion control, the value of more fruit and veggies, less white carbs, way less protein -no bigger than your fist, and more whole grains. Oh, and tons more water.

    I worked with a nutritionist a few times. She stressed adding more fiber as well. More fiber acts as a glucose eater she would say. Instead of the glucose heading for your waste line, the fiber slows down the metabolism of the sugars (carbs). After 4 months of changing my eating, I'm finally seeing results.

    I'm so happy you were encouraged!

    ReplyDelete