Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Tactful Parenting ~ The Art of Apology

Practice what you preach. Speak to others as you wish to be spoken to. Aren't those wonderful parenting mantras? How many of us do that as often as we should? 
I was reminded of this the other day while rushing to get my daughter off to school on time. I said something harsh about her eye make-up. Instead of telling her how lovely her eyes are naturally and that they don’t need that much make-up, I bull-dozed her confidence by commenting how dark the mascara looked. She was crushed and looked out the window in silence the rest of the way to school. 
I felt sick all afternoon until I had the chance to apologize to her after school. I bombed in parenting 101, a plane engulfed in flames turning to ash. I should have focused my mind on saying something with a positive spin rather than a destructive one. My agenda self was irritated with her for spending so much time on her eye make-up (at least twenty minutes every morning). 
pastedGraphic.pdf
There was a happy ending. I swallowed my pride and apologized. Never one to NOT speak her mind, my daughter said how angry and hurt she felt by the comment, but was pleased that I recognized how my words affected her. I want my kids to know that parenting is a work in progress and being tactful can often be a life-long learning experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment