Monday, November 29, 2010

Another Dr Visit: Reconstructive Surgery After A Mastectomy

Let me just say this again, if you haven't had your annual mammogram please go get one. Finding early stage breast cancer is much easier to deal with than any other stage. If you catch it early, and there's only one spot, the treatment is shorter, less painful, and much less traumatic. If I had had my mammograms on a more regular basis, I'd probably just be having a Lumpectomy. Unfortunately, since mine is a bit more wide spread, I have other considerations to make.  I'll share a little bit of info about my recent visit with the plastic surgeon, his nurse and my choice for a Mastectomy.

I chose my plastic surgeon based on a recommendation by my breast surgeon. You can't imagine how many doctors you have to see when you have breast cancer. My cancer is NOT thought to be invasive. I'm not seeing a radiologist, oncologist, or any other cancer doctors at this time. I won't know if mine is invasive until my Mastectomy surgery is performed when breast tissues samples are tested directly from the operating room.

After a complete medical history was discussed with the nurse and all of my questions answered, I met with the surgeon, Dr. Nichols. His practice is primary 70% reconstructive surgeries for breast cancer patients. He is kind, compassionate, and answered more questions and never made me feel rushed. He also explained that reconstructive surgery isn't a one time deal. I will be visiting his office weekly for three to four months after.

The two surgeons work together during the initial operation. The breast surgeon removes the breast tissue, and the plastic surgeon inserts tissue expanders. These are left inside for a period of three to four months. During this time, I'll get weekly 'fills' to stretch the chest wall muscles in order to make room for implants which are inserted when I reach the size I desire. Custom boobs. Who can ask for more? I didn't discuss in detail with the plastic surgeon about what will happen if they find my cancer has spread. But, my understanding is that I would need to complete radiation and chemo before insertion of implants. Please pray that isn't the case.

There are many choices to make when you are diagnosed with breast cancer. Do I have only a Lumpectomy? This isn't the best option for me because I have more than one location. If it were, the recommended choice is Lumpectomy and radiation. Do I leave it and do nothing? That is a choice, especially since it's inside the duct. My rational conclusions all lead me to having a double Mastectomy for the best possible outcome and hopefully, be cancer free in the future.

Another choice to make is whether to test a lymph node to see if the cancer has spread. Once you do this and it's found to have spread, then chemo and radiation are suggested. Chemo, more often than not, causes Lymphodema in the arm where the sample of the lymph node was removed. This is a whole treatment and discomfort in itself.

Which treatment choices are the best? For me, the choice that I can live with and not be in constant fear is having a double Mastectomy and testing a lymph node. Statistics show that 50% of patients who have my type of cancer, will eventually get it in the other side. If that occurs, it usually returns in a more aggressive form. This isn't something I want to worry about, nor do I want to endure chemo and radiation treatment the second time around.

No comments:

Post a Comment