Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Vitamin D3 Levels & Breast Cancer

One of the tests my breast surgeon did a few weeks ago was to check my vitamin D level. A blood draw is necessary for this test. According to the National Cancer Institute's website regarding vitamin D: 


Vitamin D is involved in a number of processes that are essential for good health, including the following:
  • It helps improve muscle strength and immune function.
  • It helps reduce inflammation.
  • It promotes the absorption of calcium from the small intestine.
  • It helps maintain adequate blood levels of the calcium and phosphate needed for bone formation, mineralization (incorporating minerals to increase strength and density), growth, and repair.
Photo courtesy of Google Images

The National Cancer Institute refers to clinical trials that have shown evidence of Vitamin D slowing down the rate of growth in cancer cells as well as noting people who live in southern climates having a lower incidence of Vitamin D deficiency and less cancers, specifically breast and colorectal cancer. 
Many people get their Vitamin D from sun exposure. For those of us who live in the Pacific Northwest, where if often rains nine months out of the year, we need to supplement. Three years ago, my gynecologist suggested 4,000 IU of Vitamin D per day.  I have been following this regime and my levels are still low. I'll be taking a look at the brand I've chosen.
I'm not a doctor, so please make sure you check with your own physician on what the appropriate levels of Vitamin D are for you. My point is, get it checked, especially if you are over 40.

3 comments:

  1. That is great information to know. Thank you for sharing it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. If I can help anyone by sharing what I learn through this experience, then I can feel good about some positive outcomes.

    Thank you for following my journey!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for this information - My Dr tells me all the time I need more D for my authritis.
    Love you Misty

    ReplyDelete