Thursday, November 18, 2010

Goals & Life Getting in the Way

Life can often get in the way of our goals doesn't it? For example, I am pursuing a new career as a Physical Therapist Assistant. I finished up the prerequisites such as anatomy and physiology in March of this year. During this time, I was dealing with an excruciating shoulder injury. In September, I was diagnosed with being border-line diabetic. October gave me the glory of breast cancer. December will most likely include a surgery to remove the cancer. Whew! What a year. Amazingly, my desire to live has not ceased. My desire to become a PTA is still a burning passion. My goal of writing a novel is in the works. My goal of loosing 25 pounds is still going strong.  My point? I have goals, and I chip away at them daily even when life gets in the way.

The PTA goal is kind of hold due to the fact I cannot get a job or intern position at a therapy facility until I'm healed from the surgery. This is beyond my control, and I accept that. But, my goal of applying for the PTA program in February 2011 is a real possibility. I may not even get in for next year's program because I don't have enough job or interning experience. That's okay. If I don't, I will spend the time healing my body and soul and finding a job that is a good fit for me until February of 2012 when I can apply again. I also will have a senior in high school next year whose getting ready for college as well.

Another goal of mine is to loose weight. Since the diabetic scare, it's now a requirement, not just a goal. I eat consciously every day. I've been trying out the NutriSystem diet plan for two months and it works. My total weight loss this year is about 15 pounds. I also worked with a dietitian and learned that eating more fruits and veggies is critical in weight loss because of the fiber and water content. So many of us are dehydrated. Believe me, if you're not hydrated then things are not going to move along out of your body if you get my drift.

Finally, my favorite goal is writing. November is NaNoWriMo or National Novel Writing Month. It's the half way point, and I've reached my goal of writing 25,000 words mid-month. I only have another 25,000 to go! The word count isn't to prove I can write a best-selling novel in one month, but to learn a new habit. This incredible habit of writing, setting goals, and living life on my terms. Isn't it awesome that we can have more than one goal?

Please share what your goals are this year? This month? Do you have a five year plan for your life?

No comments:

Post a Comment