Tuesday, November 9, 2010

A Visit to the Cancer Resource Center



I have this cute little Chia Pet I wanted you to see. Unfortunately, I can't find a simple button that will rotate this stinking picture upright. Lean your head to the right, then this picture will make more sense.
Sideways view of Chia Pet



A friend of mine gave me this little Breast Cancer Chia Pet. She has Breast Cancer and recently had a Mastectomy and is under going Chemotherapy now. I had called to see how she was doing and to cheer her up. When I told her of my diagnosis, she immediately came to my house to cheer me up and presented me with this Chia. It's already growing 'hair'.

We talked for hours, then went to the Dr. Richard C. Ostenson Cancer Center near our local hospital. What an amazing place this. They carry free wigs, have shelves-upon-shelves of free material on breast, prostate, lung cancers, etc. There are books and DVDS they loan out and classes for patients, caregivers, and families. Most of them free. They also have a few retail items such as t-shirts, hats, bracelets, pillows, and scarves which help support the free programs. Next week, I'm taking my friend to a free class at the resource center called, "Look Good, Feel Good." It is a class to assist ladies with how to do their makeup and how to tie on scarves or wear wigs. If you know someone who has cancer and hasn't checked out a resource center, I encourage you to take your friend or loved one and spend some time there. It's a wonderful place to get connected to what is currently available to cancer patients and their families.

1 comment:

  1. Wow, wigs, makeup, scarves . . . this may also turn out to be the glam time of your life as well.

    ReplyDelete