Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Fight Like A Girl!

Today ended much better than it began. I had a difficult time getting out of bed, not because I was sick. I didn't want to face reality. But you know what? It all comes back to living each day on purpose. Any of us could get hit by a bus tomorrow. So me focusing on things that don't serve me are a waste of time.

I dragged myself out of bed, and sent an email to a parent/friend from my kid's school. She'd recently had a Mastectomy and didn't know I had been diagnosed yet.  I realized this morning that I need to connect with other women who are experiencing the same emotions and fears that I am. Even though I have been able to manage my fear, it took a firm grip for a short while. My friend called me as soon as she read my e-mail. My intention in e-mailing was to cheer her up. Instead, she came right over with chicken soup and a hysterical Breast Cancer Chia Pet cheering me up! She also brought along this huge bag of pamphlets, wig info, books, DVDs, and financial resources available to women, especially low income or those who become unemployed.

We went to the cancer resource center near my house and spent two hours there yakking it up with other ladies that came in. All of us were in various phases of our treatment. It was enlightening and interesting. One thing these ladies all have in common is their spirit. They're fighters. My friend and I decided to buy each other matching T-shirts that said, "Fight Like A Girl!" with the Breast Cancer logo on it. My absolute favorite said, "Of Course There Are Fake! The Others Tried To Kill Me!" It still makes me laugh. I couldn't bring myself to get that one yet. I'm hopeful that I don't need to go that route.

Finally, our family celebrated my son's 17th birthday then attended our daughter's volleyball end-of-season party. I was so grateful to be alive and able to share these moments with them. I reminded myself that I will be doing treatment and fighting hard in order to see many more years of birthdays!

2 comments:

  1. Misty,
    Thanks for sharing! Your have great strength and courage. I look forward to reading your novel! Please continue the updates so I know how to pray for you! Love you, Dawn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Dawn,

    Thank you! It helps to know I have lots of prayer warriors out there.

    Lots of love to you my friend!
    Misty

    ReplyDelete