Tuesday, November 23, 2010

How do birds eat when its snows?

Check out this picture of my back deck. We haven't had this much snow dump on us in one day in a long time. My son, Daniel, measured it at five inches yesterday before the evening snow dump. Today, there's more like eight inches.

I often wonder how critters live during the cold winter months. This morning, my heart broke at the sight of a Humming bird hovering by a feeder I have just outside my sliding glass window. The tiny creature was frantically attempting to feed from its frozen bottle without success. I felt so guilty watching him from inside my warm home, hot cocoa and book waiting for my return. I quickly replaced the contents with warm sugar water and stepped outside to hang it. The moment I opened the slider door, a Humming bird impatiently circled the feeder in my hand.

I froze in place and to my astonishment, the bird landed and began drinking. I felt so honored that he was drinking while I stood there. I glanced over and noticed his emerald green feathers along his back and the long beak. He then took a drink from each of the four openings, taking his time as if to say, "Thanks. I was starving!" I was so thrilled to have witnessed this that I ran back inside looking for some nuts or birdseed to add to his bounty. 

I never thought I would be so attached to bird watching, but these little critters are like my pets. They are relaxing to watch and make you feel like you're doing something special. Maybe it's because I have two thankless teenagers that I need something that still makes me feel appreciated.





1 comment:

  1. I saw a towhee yesterday trying to find some berries in the snow covered bushes and I felt the same heart tug, that I should help the little thing. I'm going to throw out some bread crumbs today. We've got about 12 inches of snow out here and school has been cancelled for two days. I don't like the cancelled days...we have to make them up!

    ReplyDelete